I'm hosting a giveaway of free health consultations to women who are dealing with a range of women-specific health issues, including preconception preparation, fertility challenges, PCOS, Endometriosis, estrogen dominance, pregnancy-related concerns, and more!
Preconception Detox: Reducing Toxins for Optimal Health With Dr. Mary Shackleton
Dr. Mary Shackleton, a naturopathic doctor specializing in women's health and environmental medicine, joins me. We dive into the topic of toxic exposure and its impact on our health, discussing how factors like breathing air, drinking water, and eating food can contribute to toxicity, and why you need to start detoxification long before you plan on getting pregnant.
Dr. Mary Shackelton, MPH, ND is an experienced naturopathic doctor specializing in women's health, focusing on environmental medicine and the impacts of toxic exposures on conditions such as auto-immunity, infertility, and cognitive decline.
She is also the author of "The Preconception Cleanse," aiming to educate women on detoxification principles for optimal health, and has been involved in various initiatives, including co-founding Insulite Laboratories and PridePads Africa, dedicated to empowering girls in Cameroon through providing sanitary pads for their education.
I talk about:
06:30 - Why Dr. Mary focused on preconception health
09:00 - Environmental medicine
11:30 - How to know if your toxin burden is too much
13:30 - Most critical things to remember when you want to detox
17:00 - Lymphatic massage
22:30 - Thinking of your egg quality before you get pregnant
25:00 - Optimizing sperm health
30:00 - Most common pushbacks Mary receives from her patients who she advises to go to a preconception detox
35:00 - EMFs and brain function
42:00 - The increase in infertility cases
45:00 - Pride pads in Africa and why Mary has this project
Questions answered in this podcast:
- What are some common symptoms of heavy metal toxicity or exposure to environmental pollutants?
- How can individuals do a self-assessment to determine their toxic burden?
- What are some potential effects of fragrance in beauty products on women's health?
- How can individuals reduce their exposure to harmful ingredients in beauty products?
- What are some dietary recommendations to support reproductive health and detoxification?
- What is environmental medicine, and why is it gaining recognition?
- Why is detoxification important for preconception and reproductive health?
- Check out my Ebb and Flow Cycle Guide that teaches you how to adapt your nutrition, exercise, supplements, lifestyle, biohacks and more to align with each of your menstrual cycle phases
- Dr. Mary Shackleton’s Instagram
- Dr. Mary Shackleton’s website
- Donate to PridePads here
- Ebb and Flow Cycle Guide
- Shop my favorite health products
- Listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts
- Balance your well-being with NOOCI’s Noo Moon supplement to boost energy levels, stabilize hormones, and alleviate other menstrual cycle symptoms. Use the discount code BRITTANY.
- Visit InsideTracker to get your vitamin, mineral and hormone levels tested and enter code BIOHACKINGBRITTANY to get 20% off all plans